Friday, January 22, 2010

Is taking a stress test safe in case of chest pain?

I am a 27 yr old female and have been having minor chest and left arm pain for the last few weeks. I have seen the cardiologist and had preliminary tests taken. EKG, blood cholesterol, blood pressure, Echo ultrasound (while resting), weight(120 lbs) all came back normal. Diet is healthy too. But the pain persists.





I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow and I think they will suggest taking a stress test. I have heard that there are some risks associated. And I am especially afraid because I am already having chest pain and it will get more severe if I exert. Any advice on whether I should take the test? Thank you.Is taking a stress test safe in case of chest pain?
Both are good answers above.





I supervise several stress tests every day. As mentioned you are being monitored at all times. We are well trained to stop the test if there is something to be concerned about - and we have a very clear idea about what is and what is not concerning. Think about it. You are out in the world experiencing chest pain with no monitoring and no trained personnel around - which strikes you as safer? Besides it will help get to the bottom of whatever is going on.





As far as risks, I have heard of bad outcomes happening suddenly and without warning. I've done thousands of these studies personally and nothing like that has ever happened to any of my patients or anyone's I work with - my point, is that these occurrences are extremely rare. An echocardiogram has already been done, so they have a good sense of your heart's health already from that study - and they have ruled out a couple of things that could be problems if they put you on a treadmill.





Believe me, no one is interested in performing a procedure where the risk outweighs the benefit. Good luck.Is taking a stress test safe in case of chest pain?
Do you experience the chest pain when you are active, or when you are at rest?


If it happens when you are at rest, then the problem isn't even with your heart, but your chest wall. the stress test will not cause any problems if this is the case.





If you DO experience chest pain when you're active, then the stress test is one of the best diagnostic tests to show the problem. The benefits far outweigh the risk. You will be monitored at all moments that you are on the treadmill. Your heart rate, oxygen level, and EKG will all be recorded and monitored. If any problems occur, there are cardiologists that are therre at a moments notice.





You have nothing to fear
it is wize to take the stress test=both a Dr and a nurse will be there so don,t worry about it=just have it done so they can see why you are having chest pains
Actually chest pain while at rest can be ';unstable angina'; and can be very serious. See a cardiologist. During the stress test , the cardiologist will monitor your EKG wave and blood pressure. Any chest pain should be mentioned right away.





Good luck and take care of yourself.
  • makeup art
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment